nopin

Sunday, August 30, 2020

More food photos

I promise this isn't turning into a food blog, but pandemic times make us more navel-gazey, so here we are. Plus, I try to cook with a variety of colors and textures, and that makes my meals visually interesting, if I do say so myself. Here is what I call the "Martin Yan phase" of cooking. It's when all of the prepwork is done, and you say, "I can make dinner in five minutes!"
See? Shrimp chow mein in five minutes!
I got 18 quarts of blueberries this year. It has been a stupendous season! So here is a blueberry-rhubarb pie:
Mmmmm, pie!
I also made blueberry biscotti:
I had prepped dinner before starting the biscotti, so I could minimize the time that the oven was on (as soon as the biscotti was out, dinner went in). So I had chicken brining and veggies chopped and drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with chopped garlic for roasting. As I made the biscotti, the detritus around me gave me great visual pleasure. Look! The lemons, the herbs, the garlic, the wine, the waiting chicken... It all speaks to my many simple blessings--good food, good kitchen skills, a productive little garden, and a great local CSA. I feel blessed indeed.
Here are the veggies. In addition to the garlic and olive oil, they got dressed with thyme, fresh coriander seeds (thanks to those lovely bees and hoverflies I have spent the past two months admiring), and fancy coarse salt:
It came out... well, okay. Ya know, I just prefer broccoli and green leafy veggies, but the CSA gave us beets and cauliflower, so... Well, it's good for both DL and me to eat a variety, and I think that that is another benefit of the CSA. It forces you to eat things that aren't your favorites, so you get those extra nutrients!
My faithful sous chefs like cauliflower and beets just fine!
The chicken came out just fine!

3 comments:

mdr said...

We were thankful to receive your mouth-watering and most delicious biscotti several years ago.
I alone ate 2/3 of them. They looked commercially made but tasted even better. I don't ask for your receipe because I know it must have lot yummy ingredients I should avoid, but those from you that I ate left me a forever delicious impression.

Rarara said...

Yum! Food! The chicken and shrimp chow mein look REALLY YUMMY!!! I love seeing your food pictures! Thanks for posting them! We don't have anything yummy these days because the air quality is bad due to the fires. So all we eat is soup and steamed veggies! And some rice. But, it is healthier! Love, Rara

Arvay said...

Rara, when we can travel again, come visit me, and I'll cook you all of the things you'd like to try!