nopin

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Time for me to come out of denial...

Winter is coming to an end. It's about 40F/4C right now. The snow that was forecasted for this week never showed up and disappeared from the weather page. Rosie Creek is clearly not going to refreeze. Autumn is shedding, and the doofi won't be far behind. I've lined up the arsenal of brushes and combs.

People here like to brag about the Winter. They say, "Fairbanks has four seasons--June, July, August, and Winter!" And supposedly, it can still get to -40 in April, and it can still snow in June. But essentially, Winter is pretty much on its way out now, and to be honest, I'm having a really difficult time convincing myself that warm weather is supposed to be good. I'm missing skiing. I'm cringing at the thoughts of mud, mosquitoes, cleaning up Autumn's unfrozen poo. The trash will smell. Dirt roads will thaw and put out dust and mud.

The only thing I am looking forward to is the Farmer's Market! And blueberries! And magic potatoes!

I just hope that before breakup we'll have another few good dumps of snow, and another few good rounds of skiing. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With all that x-country skiing, I'll bet you've developed some serious upper body strength, huh? So much for arms-of-vermicelli!

Arvay said...

Hahaha. I've been doing pushups every now and then for just over a year now... I do notice some semblance of muscle in my arms now, but I still can't open a glass jar to save my life. :)

Anonymous said...

You always have beatiful arms, not too fat nor skinny. My house was 40F during winter and it was freezing, everything is relative. Not only blueberries, you will enjoy the wild salmons too. Don't eat smoke ones

Arvay said...

Thanks, "not-so-anonymous," for the compliment, but my arm fixation is about strength, not vanity. :)