nopin

Monday, May 26, 2008

Documenting Greenup

Spring here is comprised of two distinct periods, breakup and greenup. Both are sudden and startling!

Here is the road at the top of the hill at the beginning of March:


And here it is today:


Here is the view to Quist Farm:


And here you can see how grass can make a muddy road passable again:


And here are the girls doing what they do second best:




For some reason, when they sleep with their paws upturned like that, I always want to grab them and squeeeeeeeeze them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

All these beautiful pictures, why didn"t I ever seen any other human beings? Are they far away?

Arvay said...

I don't post photos of anyone but Dan or myself, out of respect for their privacy.

Anonymous said...

so beautiful, and so fast - as you showed in your pictures, it was just a few months ago that everything was still snowed under. Amazing.

Does Chena lake ever get warm enough that people go waterskiing? The water must be crystal clear. And speaking of water sports, are sled dogs naturally adverse to going swimming or taking baths? I'd guess there's some kind of Darwinian force that says that they dislike water, but maybe not?

Arvay said...

People swim in a roped-off area in Chena lake. I haven't seen water skiers in there, but I don't suppose there is any reason you can't, since there are motored boats allowed. Quite a few people fish there, too; the lake is stocked.

I must confess that I have a horror of swimming where there is a possibility of getting snagged by a fish hook. *shudder*

The girls don't mind water. But they don't adore it, either, unlike our friends' retriever, Sam, who will plunge into any body of water at any opportunity.

We had friends visiting from out of town, and we rented a paddleboat. The two huskies required some convincing to get in, but they shortly settled down in the back, happy as you please. :) I bet not too many sled dogs get paddleboat rides!