nopin

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Frost?

First frost possible tonight

I still have about a dozen green strawberries. Will I ever see them ripen? Ayah!

First rule of gardening in Fairbanks: Everything is an annual.

I was looking forward to Winter, until Summer began to cool off and the mosquitoes went away. Now I am sad because I was enjoying this particular weather pattern. I can promise you this, though. After this Summer, I will never again complain about heat in Fairbanks! No sir! The last time I complained that Summer was too hot, it rained for two months! Jeebus!

6 comments:

TwoYaks said...

Did it frost on your end of things? I think it got down to 4-5C over here, and I don't think we got proper frost.

Arvay said...

No, it didn't. Do you think my strawberries have a hope in hell of becoming edible before Winter? I have about fifteen little green things now. I'm just hoping!

TwoYaks said...

Maybe! The people at the ACRC said we're in for an early winter (though possibly a mild one), and they've tended to be pretty okay with their estimates. Do you have any of those Styrofoam barrels you can put over your plants? My mum, once upon a time, used to have us run out and put them on the flowers in a vain effort to drag out their life.

Arvay said...

Styrofoam? Don't they need sunlight to ripen?

TwoYaks said...

They do! That's why you cover them at night only. I don't know if it'd work with fruit, though. It kept flowers looking nice for a few weeks longer, though!

Arvay said...

Oh! *smacks forehead*

Brilliant!

Thanks!