nopin

Sunday, August 3, 2008

State Fair Photos

A lot of them. Apologies to folks with slow connections, but I have a pretty lousy connection myself, and I can deal.

Finest shot of the day. A smiling behbeh goat!


Goat that looks like an alien:


Behbeh goats cuddling together:


Goat smiling in her sleep, just like Autumn and Linden!


A nice sign on a gray, dreary day:


Here are photos from the weight pull. The heavyweight winners generally pull in the 1000+ pound range, and are St. Bernards or newfies. There were no newfies yesterday. :( So disappointing. I like newfies.

There are not allowed to use anything but voice commands to get the dogs to pull. Some of these dogs, I think, just didn't "get" what was being asked of them. This one goofball just sat like a doofus while his handler called him.


And tried to explain to him.


And his dad coaxed him.


He just wanted a belly rub!


In the midweight competition, the winners are usually malamutes. Malamutes are a-freakin-dorable. The look exactly like Linden and Autumn, only HUGE, well over 100 pounds.

Here is Adorable Malamute Who Posed #1.


And here is Adorable Malamute Who Posed #2.


Unlike St. Bernards, Malamutes are generally perfectly happy to pull.


But they also need their belly rubs!


Carnival!


Junk food!


Reindeer!


Smiling goat!


A calf who tried to slobber me! His big ol' tongue came out with a slurp!


Piggie snoots!


Behbehgoatsbehbehgoatsbehbehgoats!


Lamb. This lamb was the soffftest I had ever felt.


Giant purple... something... what is this called?


Cabbage 1 for the weigh-in!


12.26 pounds!


Cabbage 2!


Cabbage assembly thus far. I didn't have the patience to wait (weight!) the entire 3 hours for all cabbages to be weighed. The winner is generally 30-60 pounds, depending on the weather that season.


And finally, remember how I told you that the locally grown tomatoes aren't that good? I lied. This is from the farmer's market last week.


Junk food tally:
1 basket of deep-fried halibut (the only deep-fried thing, Rena! Just one!)
1 roast corn
1 reindeer dog
1 cup of ice cream from a North Pole creamery
1 plate of local veggie bits (carrots, green beans, broccoli, summer squash, etc)

Not too bad, right?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha - well at least your deep fried item was fish, which makes it somewhat nutritious! Actually it sounds like you did quite well for fair food.

What in the world does one do with such an enormous feed-me-Seymour cabbage? That's like a bazillion jars of sauerkraut. And I wonder how they grow that big in such a short amt of time - do people grow them in big planters inside during the winter and then wheel them outside when the weather turns nice? "Please come in and have a seat next to my decorative cabbage!"

Arvay said...

I'm not sure what they do... I've heard that giant cabbages aren't very tasty. What do they do with the giant pumpkins that they grow for the Half Moon Bay pumpkin weigh-in? I don't think they do anything with those either.

I buy pretty big (basketball-sized) savoy cabbages at the Farmer's Market. I shred them like cole slaw, and then add them to soups at the last minute to cut the salt. I also put them on top of my tupperwares of leftovers for lunch. They steam-cook as my lunch is heating in the nuker. Voila! Veggies at lunch with no effort!

I'm not sure how these cabbages start. I had assumed that they started indoors as seedlings, and then get planted outside after the frost is gone, but I don't really know.

Anonymous said...

What in the World is a Reindeer Dog? I don't suppose it's made from the Reindeer.... Hmmm that sounds interesting...

Arvay said...

It's a hot dog that's made with reindeer lips and asses instead of pig or cow lips and asses. :)