nopin

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

I'll know I've found Heaven when...

... I have Alaskan veggies and California fruits. Until then, I celebrate what I've got, when I've got it.

Here are my future strawberries. Please cross your fingers for me that they turn into strawberries before it gets too cold!


Here is my loot from the Farmer's Market today. My sister is coming to visit us this weekend, so I get to buy more! To paraphrase something my father once said, you know what's better than veggies? More veggies!

(that is a quarter on the broccoli)

I've found love...


It's almost half the size of Linden!


It's almost one third the size of Autumn!


It's bigger than the tea kettle (and almost a quarter the size of the stovetop):


It completely fills a dinner plate!


And guess who loves it most of all? Miss Millie?


Or Mr. Grumphus Bumfus Bunn B. Doofus?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hee hee. Does it make your bunnies smell bad? I found cauliflower made Mr./Mrs. Bun smell, and broccoli almost as much. Thankfully they also love smell-free celery, and many nice smelling herbs. :)

Arvay said...

No, they don't smell bad. Basil makes them smell good, though! :) I've never given them cauliflower, which is rarely in my house, since it's not one of my personal favorites. But we have broccoli maybe three times a week, and they get quite a bit of kale, which is in the same family. Actually, I think it may be the same species, just a different 'breed' or whatever they call plant distinctions.

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures of the dogs posed with the broccoli - like "What in the world is this? Is this another one of her crazy pets?"
Good luck with the strawberries - maybe you could make a little greenhouse for them out of plastic milk cartons or some chopsticks and saran wrap?

Anonymous said...

I wonder why vegetables do so well but fruits don;t? I guess its that "everything is an annual in Alaska" part.

How about tomatoes? Those are fruits AND annuals. :)

Arvay said...

Hah I guess I am showing my American side and not my Chinese side in considering tomatoes vegetables! They do well here if you start them early indoors.

Our wild berries are delicious, and we have just tons of them. But we have hardly any cultivated fruit. When you think about it, most of the tastiest fruit either grows on trees (pears, cherries, peaches, plums) or requires a long, hot summer (melons). That leaves Alaskans with not much grown locally. :( There is a guy who has an apple orchard, and he sells wee bitty apples. They are crisp and tart and make good pies, but aren't the greatest for eating raw.

Arvay said...

Rena, that's brilliant. Thanks! I'll do that if frost starts. I don't want to cover them before the bees have done their thing to all the flowers yet though.

Anonymous said...

Lepton was so cute, he was smiling. Was he the one who rocked the cage in the morning if you did not take him out quick enough?

Anonymous said...

MORE PICTURES!!