nopin

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Ester Dome today

The drive up:


It's a nice view from the top:


There is still a bit of snow on the North side.


If I walk carefully, I can mostly manage to stay on top. But sometimes a foot just breaks through, and down I go.


The girls are so happy:


The mountains in the distance:


The north side of the hill still looks like Winter:


There is an outcropping of rocks on top:


A lot of the shards of rock are shiny, impregnated with metal:


Autumn on the lookout:


Here is this trail on the north side of the dome. It's quite steep, with very few switchbacks.




Here are photos on Ester dome in the Summer and in the Fall. It's stunning in the Fall, isn't it?

In other news, we tried a new Cuban restaurant last night that had recently opened in the location of a pizza place that we had used to frequent. The food was surprisingly good, and between the music and the lilting Spanish accent of our waitress, the place really did a good job of creating a unique cultural environment. I haven't spent much time in Latin America, but to me, these things remind me of home in California, since there are so many Latin American immigrants there.

3 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

A Cuban restaurant in Squarebanks? I'd so be there!

Ester Dome is great, tons of good trails all up and down it. I think I know the one you went down on the north side... If it's the same one it ends down at the base in a swamp fed by a small creek. Supposedly there's a way through but I never found it.

Rena said...

Beautiful pictures.

Oh Cuban food! I haven't found a good Cuban joint since living in L.A. Yucca and plantain and Cristianos y Moros and oooh, the pork! And those bocadillos medianoches - the midnight sandwiches with crusty bread, mayo, pork, raw onion. Man, those Cubanos sure are far from home! If they have Cuban soda on the menu you should try it - made with yerba mate, they taste like sweet furniture polish. Ok, that sounds awful, but it's actually really really good.

mdr said...

I really really really enjoy and appreciate your website to share with me your life. It is interesting to see you wearing shorts while there was snow on the other side. Your tolerance for cold temperature has certainly been adopted to the AK's weather. Enjoy and be careful when you are out there.