nopin

Friday, May 1, 2009

Summer on top, Winter below

It's been almost a week now of highs above 70F. We are in shorts, eating ice cream, slapping at the first few mosquitoes, et cetera, but here's what makes the scene unique to Fairbanks--there are still patches of lingering snow on the ground. Yup, it takes a while for the heat to penetrate the ground cover, and the snow, and finally into the soil itself. The soil is still frozen, and at night, the heat penetration from above lessens enough that the surfaces of some puddles still freeze, although the air temperature is not dropping below freezing any more. There are thin, glass-like sheets of ice on puddles in the morning. Mind-boggling, isn't it?

I am turning in my last math homework ever today, and will spend the weekend on my take-home final in Ice Physics. Enjoy yours, everybody!

4 comments:

TwoYaks said...

I'm stuck in the office today, wishing I could be outside having icecream while I'm inside running simulations. :(

But it's supposed to cool off this weekend, back to normal weather until summer can get properly started. : (

Arvay said...

There is a new Hot Licks at Chena Pump Plaza. It has none of the charm of that little house on College Road, though.

mdr said...

I remember the blueberry ice cream, yummy. Congratulations on finishing all classroom classes, it is a big achievement with such a hard field. I am proud of you.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

May is a very nice month up there. So's June and July now that you mention it.

And here we are going into winter... That means the temperature in the den is much better suited to cheesemaking than for beermaking.

Hmmmm, my word veri is spiter. How did you know?