nopin

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Notes from here and there

1. Happy Equinox! From here until Fall, we Northerners will have longer days than anyone else!

2. It looks like we are having an early Spring. The streets of Fairbanks look just like breakup time--streets are wet with slush, and piles of filthy, black snow line the sides of the roads where they have been plowed. The snow is sliding off my roof and crashing to the ground.

3. I haven't made up my mind about whether I prefer splitting wood in warm weather or cold. It's nice to be out in a T-shirt and no hat and not have the safety goggles frosting up. But on the other hand, splitting unfrozen wood is a lot like work!

4. Warm weather means eating less. I'm not sure whether I've mentioned this, but in Winter, I eat truly terrifying amounts of food and crave protein and fat. Sili valley friends reading this will probably shrug and say, "Arvay eats a lot? This is news?" But I mean, I eat items and quantities that I would never touch in California, where I was almost a vegetarian. In Fairbanks Winters, I eat at each meal until I cannot possibly fit more food down my gullet. Then two hours later, I'm eating again, likely a not insubstantial snack. Like a PBJ or a chunk of cheese. On weekends, I sometimes eat two lunches, one a BLT and later a half pound cheeseburger. If I fry an egg or two to put on my noodles, after I place the eggs on the noodles, I pour the cooking oil on top as well. Once, after I had friends over for pancakes, there was still melted butter left in the dish. I stared at it wolfishly for two seconds, then took out two slices of bread and sopped up the butter and ate those, too. I don't trim the fat off my meat. I eat ALL of the fried potatoes a restaurant gives me. I eat peanut butter by the spoonful. I am not a person who eats like this by nature, but in the cold, we all turn into ravenous, slavering beasts. And I'll confess, it makes me feel... happy! I love to eat, and this is one of the upsides of Winter in Fairbanks!

5. So per DJC's request but for the edification of all, I took the camera skijoring with me today. I let the girls run loose while I skied under my own power for a few miles, then hooked up to them. I needed them to be tired so they'd go slowly enough so that I could operate a camera while moving. My girls obey only three commands reliably--gee (right), haw (left), and whoa (slow down or stop). There is no speed control. And there's no command for "go." Silence equals consent. Oh wait; they do know one other--"on by." They are very good at "on by." It means, "ignore the moose/bird/person/dog/rabbit and keep going." They indeed zip right past and don't even look!

Here is a clip of a good, straight run where there are no bends in the trail for me to drop the camera on. This is also a pace I am comfortable with. No uncontrolled acceleration problems. :)


Here is where I attempted another straight run, realizing only somewhat belatedly that this is the turnoff for the trail home. I must have you know, though, that I did not fall down; I just dropped the camera. I'm getting better and better at remaining on my feet these days. :)



And finally, here we are making the turnoff to the spur that takes us right to our property line. This time when I dropped you guys, I just let you dangle from my wrist for a few seconds. :) But I had to cut you off entirely after that because it is a bumpy, turny-twisty trail, and I needed to use both poles to navigate!



Now here are some stills.

Happy, happy! Joy, joy!


Sunny ridgetop:


A trail lined with aspen. I'd dearly love to see this in the Fall, but I suspect this trail is inaccessible due to mud.


lolskijor:


And afterwards, we cuddle:


Cuddle wuddle:


And sprawl in sunbeams:

11 comments:

bt said...

Awesome videos! Even better than I imagined it!

mdr said...

I really really really enjoyed watching them. The dog on the right seems always leading a little ahead. Was it Autumn on the right? You also look good and well that really made my day. If you ever fall, close your eyes and cover your face from any object including the ski poles, okay?

Tails said...

Loved the videos! Thanks for sharing them!

How long do you go for and do the dogs tire at all or do they love it? (not saying you'd be doing it if they didnt love it lol)

And lastly, is it difficult? It looks so! :P

Christy said...

Awesome videos! Love to see some adventure from your point of view!

DJC said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to make these and for posting them! It really gave me a great feeling to watch your dogs in action and get a taste of how the skijoring experience actually feels for you!

It looks like a lot fun, maybe I will get to experience it someday.

Thanks again for posting them, I really appreciate it.

Arvay said...

Yes, Autumn was a lead dog in her previous life, and so I let her lead in her current one. Linden was mostly a wheel dog, but she can pull in any position. I was told that she can lead, too, in a pinch, but I'd rather not offend Autumn by trying that! Linden, on the other hand, has no ego whatsoever and can never be offended!

When it's warm like it was yesterday (about 20F/-7C), I limit them to about an hour. When it's cold (below 0F/-18C), they could go all day, and we are limited only by my own comfort. I get very cold with the wind chill due to the travel speed, and also I hardly do any work at all, so I don't warm up due to exercise!

And the dogs do love it, and it enables them to get sufficient exercise without me tiring myself out (their exercise needs are much higher than my own). But I do enjoy skiing on my own, and they *really* enjoy bouncing around off-leash. So at least once or twice a week, I ski on my own while they run free.

And it's not difficult at all, if the dogs are obedient. It's easier than skiing, actually, because I can use them for balance. When I'm skiing on my own, when I start to fall down, I just fall down! But the girls keep me standing straight!

Now that I've figured out how to use the video capture, I'm going to try to get some footage of them bouncing around free... they are just so very, very happy!

mdr said...

Pls be careful when shooting the video when you are in action. Pls stand still to do it.

Rena said...

Awesome!! #1 wanted to play the videos over and over and over - he said the doggies look happy. So what does -your- harness look like? How do you clip in, and is there a quick-release on that tether that holds you to the dogs?

And about the eating, holy moly, you must be burning several thousand calories during the winter! Just staying warm, plus skjoring plus chopping wood plus shoveling snow...I can't imagine. For dense calories, I like avocados, dates, nuts, coconut although I completely understand the attraction to saturated fats. I don't recall you having cholesterol or heart disease problems, so you're probably fine.

Debs said...

Fantastic videos! I definitely look forward to ones of the girls running free. I must video my dog running free too. With the speed of a greyhound, still photos just don't do her justice.

Arvay said...

Rena, here are some good photos:
http://www.nooksackracing.com/skijoring.html

Those two loops go under my legs to keep the belt low, on my hips and not my waist.

You can also see the quick-release snap on the bottom photo. I've yet to use it as a quick-release, because I've never had trouble with the girls. :)

And yes, Debs, you absolutely must! :)

lucky_girl said...

that is SO cool!! and just what they are meant to do! AWESOME! Thanks for sharing.