nopin

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Well... BBRRRR!!!

When I stepped outside this morning, I observed it to feel a little chilly. Came back in, and saw the outdoor thermometer reading -20F/-29C. Dayum. Cold days in March feel colder than cold days in January, and I can't decide which of two reasons dominates:

1) In March, preceding warmer days have filled the air with moisture. In fact, I can look outside my South-facing windows, and see the ice crystals freezing out of the air and dropping through the shafts of sunlight. In January, the air is bone-dry, which makes it easier to stay warm.

2) Psychological reasons. You look at the calendar, you look at then sun, and you expect to be warmer! Okay, -20F is quite cold, no matter what time of year it is, but the other night I was crabbing about being cold, when it was positive teens!

Miss Millie sez, "Hoompf!"


Well, at least it is not cold enough for a film of ice to form on top of the dogs' water at night! Yes, when it's around -40, it does! Millie has no such troubles, though, because her water dish is raised.

1 comment:

biting tongue said...

It's good to be a queen (with a raised water dish).