nopin

Monday, March 8, 2010

Raising of the Tripod

The Tripod went up yesterday, but I did not attend due to feeling, as my Chinese friends say, razy.

It's okay, I'm sure it hasn't changed all that much in two years. :)

So... would anyone like to tell me a breakup guess? The ice was last measured to be 50 inches thick on the 18th of Feb.

I believe I am going to guess a breakup date close to pattern. Although this Winter has been particularly mild, the ice is still as thick as usual, probably due to the unusually low snow level (snow is a great insulator). And it's been middle-of-the-road weather lately. Some days warm, some days chilly. *shrug*

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I could offer you a guess- I've been as close as a minute off on either SIDE of the correct time. On two different years.

Or I could keep my miserable bad luck (and my algorithm) to myself.

Arvay said...

Titanium, since you're in state, you should enter for yourself. :)

Anonymous said...

Already did.

Arvay said...

Oh good! Don't tell me your guess then... I'll find out when I read the paper with the list of winners. :)

I have to admit I'm skeptical of breakup algorithms... I would definitely buy that you could use a historical algorithm to pin a period of maybe three days. But in three days, you have nine hours of prime time, which still gives you only one shot in 540.

Of course, if you're that confident, you could buy them all, at a cost of 1350. Assuming a pot of about 300000 and fifteen winners, you'd still come out $18k ahead! Well, maybe $10k after the IRS takes its cut, but I wouldn't cry at $10k.

How confident are you? Would you do it?