nopin

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Eats

Veggies for the week:


The dowgs were staring at me very intently while I took this photo:


I'm afraid I've had a loss of faith in Sam. Last night when we were out for our walk, an aggressive dog ran toward us. Autumn and Linden raised their hackles and prepared to fight. Sam flipped onto her back and showed her belly (dog language for, "I'm a harmless (if annoying) puppy! Please don't hurt me!"). No fight ensued, but after the other dog left, my dogs resumed their normative behavior while Sam cowered and screamed and howled like an Indian widow committing suttee. What pathetic behavior! Poor Sam. I think generations of being America's most popular dog have really made the retriever into a non-working, non-functional animal, except for affection and companionship.

Oh, I picked most of my raspberries last night:




The rest will ripen over the next few weeks. Pies!

5 comments:

mdr said...

who ever said retrievers are brave? There are reasons retrievers are the 95% guide dogs, they are patient, obedient and SMART too. It is smarter to retrieve than confront when facing dangers, in most but not all cases. Daredevils usually short-live careful(coward) people.

mdr said...

By the way, the other 5% is German Shepard.

Arvay said...

No, it's NOT smart to run toward other dogs who are angry. It's also NOT smart to run toward any stranger and expect a friendly reception, when you have no idea who they are.

Sam is spoilt and expects that everyone loves her; even when they don't look friendly, she just runs up to them. Unfortunately, in my rural area, most people and dogs are very unimpressed with her!

Arvay said...

I'm sorry; I guess I didn't put that in my original post. Sam instigated the whole mess by running toward this mean dog. I have to say, I was very, very unimpressed.

Arvay said...

Sam was an absolutely adorable puppy, to her loss. A pup that is too cute gets spoilt.