nopin

Sunday, September 23, 2012

Notes from here and there

1) The weather has been odd. Warm and dry and gusty. I do not like it. However, it has led to beautiful mornings and evenings:




2) Yesterday, as I was leaving the supermarket, I noticed a beautiful Siberian husky sitting on a guy's lap in a truck. I asked if I could meet the dog, and the guy said yes, in fact I ought to meet all of them. He hopped out of the truck and opened the back, and I saw this:


The guy was obviously a Siberian aficionado, having bought and raised two pups, and then having rescued the rest as they popped up at the local animal shelter. The dogs were just as sweet and cuddly and kissy as Alaskans, ice-blue-eyes notwithstanding. They even put their paws out for me to hold, just like Alaskans do. My doggie racism: cured.

3) Here is a lovely obituary for Richard Frank, an Athabascan elder.

4) There has been a lot of rain in the mountains. The Parks Highway has flooded. The train track has washed away in parts. Talkeetna flooded, and partially evacuated. Now the waters are receding in Talkeetna, but rising on the Kenai.

1 comment:

mdr said...

Beautiful and clean-looking dogs.

I know that arm is not yours, however, I remembered we bumped into a student in your school's staircase last year when I visited, remeber what was the reason she had a big bandaid on her nose/lips???