nopin

Sunday, September 2, 2012

Public Service Announcement

Yesterday I was out picking rose hips behind my cabin when I stumbled upon a baneberry plant. My neighbor told me that four baneberries are enough to kill a person. So I took a photo for y'all:

If you find one on your property or on a frequently traveled trail where someone might mistake it for a high-bush cranberry, I recommend pulling out out by the root, throwing it away where it will be taken to municipal trash (i.e., not composted), and then washing your hands.

This website says that Native Americans used juice from the berries to poison arrows. It then prattles merrily on about the different medicinal uses, and finally ends with "Great caution should be employed if using this plant internally, the rootstock is a violent purgative, irritant and emetic. All parts of the plant are toxic, containing the poison protoanemonin, apparently acting upon the heart. As few as 2 berries can cause severe cramps, headaches, vomiting, bloody diarrhea and/or dizziness. Severe poisoning results in paralysis of the respiratory system and cardiac arrest."

Um, yeah. I think I'll pass on the various wonderful medicinal uses.

Anyway, when I had been warned against confusing it with a high-bush cranberry, I examined the leaves and found that they reminded me of the leaves of a wild Delphinium, which I already know to be poisonous, so it's a good mnemonic aide. Here is a yellowing wild delphinium. Its beautiful purple flowers are already gone:


These are high-bush cranberries. I don't particularly care for them, so I don't pick them:


With redder foliage:


While taking the above photo, I realize how "fall-like" my forest floor had become, so here is the uncropped version for you to observe:

The fireweed and rose bushes, too, are in fall color. The aspens are only just starting.

A high-bush cranberry plant that is still green:


This is a dwarf dogwood:

Its berries aren't poisonous, but they aren't tasty either. I suppose if you were dying of scurvy, they'd be an option though.

This looks like a soapberry:

Foraging rule of thumb: When in doubt, pretend it's poisonous and will kill you.

The low-bush cranberries (actually lingonberries, as I've learned) are also ripe, but I didn't take a photo for you this weekend. Here are some for you if you'd like a refresher.

So there you have it. Avoid the poison berry! I provide for you because I care. Also because when readers die, I lose readers, and that's bad.

5 comments:

mdr said...

You were and still are a funny girl..

If birds leave the berries alone, you should too.

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Good advise from mudder! That's why I only picked blueberries an raspberries.

OT How goes the training? And further off topic, how's this for cuteness http://www.twitpic.com/aqlykb/full

Arvay said...

d'awww! He looks very sofft and fuzzy!

mdr said...

Alaskan Dave Down Under:

Thank you. Friends' words always carry more weight than mudder's words.

flying fish said...

Right after I read your post a friend said she'd eaten a berry that made her lips and tongue numb for a few minutes. She said it looked like a cranberry...! Wasn't baneberry, she is still alive. Too much coincidence in one day.