nopin

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Not a n'ice incident!

Climate change has really sunk its teeth into us in Fairbanks. Last night, it rained while temps were up near 32F/0C; covering the roads with ice. I was on my way home, driving super slowly (usually okay with my Subaru and studded tires). But when I got to our road, I saw lights flashing up ahead. A car was in a ditch, and two cars were standing still behind it, unable to go around it since the road was so slick they could not drive up the slight grade. I stopped in line, threw my car into "park", and while I pondered our predicament, several other cars accumulated behind me, all equally befuddled. Eventually, I put on my ice cleats, came out and began communicating with the other drivers. We put out signal flares to stop further accumulation of stuck cars, and one guy started directing drivers to back slowly back out to the highway. Another young lady and I knocked on the nearest door and found that it was acquaintances of mine! So I asked if the two of us could leave our cars in their driveway for the night. They agreed, and even came out to help, tossing sand into the road.

In the meantime, I had called DL, who had already made it home before the rain had started. He tried to call for help for us--the Troopers, tow trucks. No one would come. The Trooper Dispatcher told him that they would not send anyone out since none of us was hurt. So after I had slowly, slowly moved my car to those nice folks' driveway, I called him back and told him I was walking the last two miles home. He walked up to meet me and we walked home through the icy night, him carrying my work bag, and both of us wearing ice cleats. Who says romance is dead?

Lessons learned:
1) Always keep emergency signal flares in the car (I was one of the heroes of the hour that was able to help block further buildup of cars!).

2) Always keep ice cleats in the car (enabling my walk home... and when are you stuck unable to drive? when it's icy, of course!).

3) Always keep gas in the car. I never let my tank go under 1/4 a tank. That sure paid off.

4) Always keep a good flashlight on your person. My favorite is the classic Maglite. It's American-made, and I got an LED version that lasts years between battery changes. It's in my handbag at all times! It's also come in handy for power outages in buildings.

5) Charge your cell phone every night.

6) Always make friends, be kind, and reach out. Who knew that the kids that used to trick or treat at my house, would have such kind parents who would reach out and help us in a crisis?

Look! A Climate Change outfit! Summer pants, snow boots, short-haired husky!

3 comments:

mdr said...

Thank you Dave for being a supportive Husband. Thank you for being safe.

May I add two items in your car? 1) Some nuts and granola bars or whatever food (in the glove compartment) won't freeze. Energy is important for any challenge. 2) head lamp like the coal miner, this way you can have free hands to walk/crawl with better balance.

mdr said...

May I add on another extremely important one?
GET THE BEST TIRES FOR ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS AND CHECK THEM frequently.

Here is the last one.
Listen to the radio today for today's weather forecast.

Arvay said...

@mdr, I have Clif bars and get new winter tires every few years. :)