nopin

Sunday, October 14, 2018

Good eats

Mmm, I love cooler weather! Even though Winter is late to arrive, and we have still barely dropped below freezing, and the grass is still green, and we still have no snow, at least it's chilly enough to have a fire almost every day and have lots of delicious, rich soups.

Like chili!


With the last of the turnip greens:


And cornbread of course, mmmmm!


With grated cheeeeeese on top!


"DidyousayCHEEZ? WE LIKE CHEEZ!!"


Another few days was red beans and rice. The last of it was not enough to make a full meal, so we had it with pork buns. And more greens, of course. #DamnitfeelsgoodtobeaCalifornian!


Non-leafy veggies get sautéed with sausage:


For paaaasta!


Another few days was a run of black-eyed beans cooked with European bacon. With steamed veggies and garlic bread!


Leftover salmon from a fillet made salmon quesadillas for our breakfast this morning:


Right now, I am braising moose rib pieces:


With pho seasoning:


I hope it comes out good! We are now 90 minutes in, and the meat is still pretty tough!

One of my exam questions concerned power draw of a headlamp, and a student took the liberty of drawing me with the ladies:


Family photo. Roo Bear will sit still if I hold her hand. :)

6 comments:

e.davis said...

Nothing like a hearty stew to complement the chill of autumn:) As always your meals look mighty tasty. I must have had potatoes on my mind,'cause when I first scrolled through the photos (before reading) I thought the pork bun looked like a fancy mashed potato creation- silly me. How did the (moose) pho turn out? Love pho, but never had the chance to try it that way. It would be a culinary adventure :)
Also, love the fam photo- happy pups and their peeps :)

Arvay said...

The pho-flavored moose turned out good, especially the leftovers the second day! We poured the braising liquid over the rice, and the meat was more tender than I had feared it would be. Jabbing at a chunk of meat with a dull wooden spoon is discouraging because it's a dull wooden spoon. :) When we took forks and knives to it, it was quite nice. :)

I used this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00G4E43CC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

And caramelized onions and water for the braising liquid (the pho seasoning is a reduction).

I'm not overly anxious to try it to make actual pho though. If I ever get a hankering to try that (and 12 hours to kill), I'm going to use the actual spices, not a reduction. This stuff has sugar in it, which is great for braising! But kind of weird for a broth!

bt said...

I would eat every single one of those meals with pleasure! Yumm!

mdr said...

Were those food prepared for some party at yours? A lot of food.

Arvay said...

mdr, it's more than one day. :) It covers a span of weeks!

mdr said...

I seeeee...