nopin

Saturday, May 30, 2020

Porcupine!

Porcupines are very common in Alaska, but I only rarely see them. In fact, in my 13 years here, I think I've only seen maybe 3 as roadkill, and a single one alive! Well, okay, now two!

But last night while I was brushing my teeth, Thistle demanded to be let out Immediately. I thought she had to poop really badly, so opened the door and followed her out (with Cricket, too). Turns out there was a porcupine in the yard! The Very Good Dogs came back when I shouted at them to Leave That Thing Alone and Get Your Fuzzy Butts Back Here. They Left That Thing Alone and Got Their Fuzzy Butts Back Here.

I put them inside and grabbed my camera, and followed him as he waddled off through the forest (as I continued to brush my teeth with my other hand. Multitasking!)



Those spines must be very serious indeed, because he was fearless and 100% ignored us. He also made no effort whatsoever to be stealthy. As he waddled through the woods, he rustled every single plant in his path, as graceful as a labrador retriever puppy in slow-mo.

Apparently, Romeo, the famous wolf of Juneau was an expert at catching, killing, and eating porcupines. No-one ever saw him do it, but they would find husks of porcupines around his territory, and never a quill on him. He must have been a clever fellow.

Ah, googling him makes me feel sad, because he had a sad end, and also I was often told that Roo looked like him. Sigh. I'm going to transplant some rhubarb now.

4 comments:

mdr said...

Please do not get this close to ANY wild animals. Our instinct is to avoid bear, moose etc because of their size, but little guys pose danger to human too.

1) Little guy might be sick or injured and you don't want to make him feel more scared by getting too close, but keep an eye on him from distance and check on him (from far end) to see if he gets away later.

2) Animal's instinct is to attack for feeling threatened by your close-up approach?

3) poor little guy might be sick with contagious germ?

Thank you for consideration in the future



mdr said...

We need to be EXTRA careful in this pandemic, we don't want to visit doctors, especially emergency hospital. Keep yourself safe at all times. Thank you for considering my words.

Arvay said...

@mdr, I appreciate your concern, but I was not "this close". I have a very powerful zoom lens. :)

mdr said...

:-) :-) :-)