nopin

Sunday, June 27, 2021

Broken leg items

I didn't know the things I'd need until people brought them to me or told me to buy them. So I'm keeping this list handy for when I know someone who breaks their leg. Then I will pay it forward.

  • Scooter, because crutches suck
  • Stool to use to shower, because standing on one leg in the shower is neither viable nor safe
  • Shoe lifter thingy to put onto the shoe of your good leg. The compression boot is thick-soled, and if you walk around with one leg longer than the other, you'll damage your hips.
  • Tylenol. There is some evidence that NSAIDs can impede bone healing.
  • Glucosamine, calcium, and vitamin D supplements
  • Some kind of pantacular solution, since normal pants won't fit over a cast. Giant sweatpants for winter, zip-off hiking pants for summer.
  • Some kind of walking stick for when you ditch the crutches.
On a cheerier note, here is my first bloom from the columbine seeds I gathered from UAF campus and planted in 2019! It's yellow! I wonder what colors the rest will be.
My friend made me a kuspuk that matches the colors of an Interior Alaskan summer:
Miss Thistle is very Suspicious!
Miss Cricket can look dignified sometimes!
Look at the gorgeous tomatoes in my pico! They are from a greenhouse farm in Delta Junction:
A multicultural snack: Deviled egg potato salad and oi muchim. I had this brilliant idea that for hot days, I could make potato salad or macaroni salad or pasta salad in the cool morning, and have it in the fridge waiting at dinnertime, rather than turn on the stove for a long time in the hot evenings. It's working pretty well.
Closeup of the oi muchim. Very nice for hot weather!

1 comment:

mdr said...

Green bean soup for hot days excluding YJ days.