nopin

Sunday, June 6, 2021

Three Random Kindnesses

Today, I will tell you Three Random Kindnesses.

1) When I was a freshman in high school, a girl I barely knew tapped me on the shoulder in class to hand me a chocolate malt ball, in silence. I smiled and mouthed, "thank you", and she smiled and mouthed, "you're welcome".

2) In spring of 2007, I was new to Alaska and slogging along what I had known as a ski trail. I did not know about "winter-only" trails that turned to muddy bogs in summertime. A truck was stuck in the mud out there. As I approached where the trail ends and the compacted road begins, I saw another truck idling and waiting for me. It was a young couple, and they called out asking if I needed help getting what they took to be my truck unstuck. And that is why I still live in this neighborhood. Who could leave after that warm fuzzy?

3) Just before the pandemic, I was in Alexandria helping to review a set of proposals to the National Science Foundation. As I walked into the building, I was doing the Federal Building rigmarole and being photographed for a security badge. Just that morning in my hotel bathroom, I had happened to glimpse my profile in the crazy prism of mirrors that they often have in hotel bathrooms, and not been pleased. I have never liked my profile, since when I was a kid I had buck teeth and my sister said I looked like a monkey. But now this security guard woman looked at me as she held up the camera and said, "You have a good profile!" I was astonished and touched! I do not in general suffer from low self-esteem or struggle with my appearance, but gosh just that morning! And just that day! And who gives that as a generic compliment? Wow! The timing was really impeccable.

Here is a photo (of me in profile!) with Starbuck-A-Roo that showed up in my Facebook "memories" today. It's an outtake from our official portrait session for Companions dogs publicity. I sure miss her. It's been over a year, and it still hurts.

3 comments:

mdr said...

SWEET AND BEAUTIFUL PICTURE OF YOU AND STARBUCK.

mdr said...

LOVE YOUR GARDEN, REALLY LOVE THE WAY TWO FLAMINGO BIRDS ARE POSITIONED -- WEEDING FOR THE GARDEN.

Arvay said...

THANKS!!