nopin

Friday, June 4, 2021

A lovely spring, and making slow progress on the leg

Today I took my longest walk yet--2.2 miles, according to google maps. I felt pretty good; no pain, all awkwardness. It's not easy. There is a lot going on in parallel: (1) The broken fibula. (2) The sprained ankle. (3) Recovery from the surgery. (4) Recovery from the atrophy. (5) The motion restriction from the boot, which I understand is totally necessary, but it makes it hard to walk! I felt bad walking without the dogs, but maybe if they didn't fricken' pull me sideways!!

The weather has been lovely though. Sun interspersed with rain, and not too warm.

Not much else to report, so here is a photo of a pizza!

I'm also making progress on my litle Lazy Person's Garden. It's all either perennials, local endemic "weeds" (like delphiniums, roses, and bluebells), or super low-maintenance annuals.
Some of the columbines are ones I started from seed in the Fall of 2019. They had to overwinter and then germinate in 2020, but they were tiny. This year I expect to finally see flowers. I wonder what colors they will be. They apparently cross-breed very easily, so although I gathered seeds from several gorgeous blooms I saw on UAF campus, I don't know if they'll come out like their parents.
I was told this of perennials by a lady on my Fairbanks Gardening Facebook group: The first year they sleep, the second year they creep, the third year they leap!

No comments: