nopin

Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Colder days

So it's October now, and believe it or not, I've only seen the first real frost today! It has been below freezing at night before today, but I guess it's just been too dry for frost. This morning, when I stepped outside, everything was sparkling in the semidarkness.

The landscape is monochromatic, especially in the pale predawn light. The sky is white, the almost-bare birch trees are white. I've always felt that the quality of light is different in th Fall. Even in the Bay Area, where we don't have obvious seasons, the blue of the sky, the green of the trees and grass, everything seems more richly colored. The effect here is even more obvious. The transition from Fall to Winter is like turning down the color dial on the television screen.

This photo is for my sister, who told me that she thought the rabbits were looking thinner. HAH!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

they are obese, cut down their food supply

Anonymous said...

they need weight to survive the winter!

Anonymous said...

dear anonymous: they aren't obese, they're big boned. also, rabbits look especially blobby when they flow out onto the floor. they look fit and content to me. :)

Arvay said...

I can't believe they *still* sit in front of the draft from the window! It's snowing outside, and has been for over a day now! Maybe they are meant to be snow bunnies after all...