nopin

Sunday, October 7, 2007

Snow and More Snow

I have changed my commute into town to take the highway, which is flat and plowed, rather than driving along the river over the hill, which is narrow, winding, steep, and icy. Though it is so beautiful along the river, and I shall miss the view, which I will not see again until Spring, when I will no longer be terrified to drive there!

Anyway, the snow here for most of Winter (until Spring slushiness) is light and fluffy, not so good for snowball fights or snowman-making, but cleaner and easier to keep warm in. Yesterday, the first morning we had snow, I looked at my car and said to myself, "Dang, I should have bought a snow brush! Oh I know... I have that rag towel in the back. I'll use that." So I opened the hatchback, got out the towel, and slammed the door down. FLOOMP all the snow fell off, leaving the windows clean. That's some dry powder!

I've noticed that the people who work outdoors here (contractors, road construction crew), and who ought to know best about how to dress for cold weather, dress decidedly low-tech. No Arcteryx or Patagonia for them. Nope, they wear big, heavy coats from the hunting supply store that are lined with fleece, but whose outer shells are--gasp--cotton canvas! I wonder if I should try one of those and see if I like it better than my high-tech stuff.

Oh well. Off to do homework. Here is the yard today.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh, so are you going to leave the summer beach chair out in your yard as kind of an offering to the winter gods?

Arvay said...

No, we will have picnics in January! :)

Anonymous said...

The pictures from yesterday was from Creamer's Field? That looks very wilderness and beautiful. Yes, pls be careful and stay within human areas, thank you.