nopin

Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Life is an Adventure!

Okay before I get into it, the sign on the corner says it is -20F/-29C right now. Huh. I didn't feel any colder this morning in particular...

Anyway, before I get off to the lab I have a story for youse guys. :)

This is about my graduate adviser at Santa Clara University, who said something I will never forget. This was before she was my adviser or my friend. I was in her course on plastics processing, and at one point she passed around something for us to look at that was, for some reason I can't recall, somewhat intimidating to touch. Maybe she had just pulled it out of the hot thermal chamber or something. Anyway, the first student she attempted to pass it to shrunk back. She let out an exasperated huff. "Oh come on!" she said grandly. "Don't be such a weenie! Life is an adventure! Live it!"

I thought that that was fantastic, and scribbled it down in my notebook, alongside my notes on ideal plastic processing parameters and how to select an appropriate resin: Don't be weenie. Life = adventure. Live!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just don't mistake adventure for purposely choosing to make your life difficult.