nopin

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Okay so here's the deal with my classes...

Drunk and disorderly math professor apparently has not pulled himself together, so I am dropping math physics and taking Statistical Mechanics instead. So my current schedule is:

*Upper division undergraduate level Electricity and Magnetism (looks to be easy; first two lectures were a review of div, grad, curl, etc.)

*Nonlinear dynamics (i.e., chaos, synchronicity); my bread and butter, possibly my field of research

*Statistical mechanics (i.e., extremely complicated version of thermodynamics)

Time to dig out the ol' thermo book! I hope I can find it somewhere!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does "Nonlinear dynamics" deals with EMF or heavy electricity? Your sister tried to stay off those.

Arvay said...

No, it's systems whose governing equations are nonlinear, for example, turbulent fluid flow. It's mostly mathematical modeling and no field work at all. Which is what is making me hesitate because I don't like doing too much mathematical modeling without real-life testing.

Anonymous said...

As long as not steering towards fields with professional hazards. You will find something with field work and won't harm you.

Anonymous said...

Yup - please no studies in jaw pressure of saltwater crocodiles, gamma particle leakage in Eastern Europe, or durability of roadway paint on the 101 during rush hour.

But, you know,

Arvay said...

But I have lots of experience in measuring jaw pressure of rabbits who act like crocodiles. :)