nopin

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Ol' Man Winter

We're in the midst of a few-day cold snap (~-25F/-32C). It's been so cold that even I feel uncomfortably chilly, and that's saying a lot!

I've generally always preferred cold temperatures. I remember when I first moved from San Francisco to Berkeley, and then from Berkeley to the Sili Valley, each move only brought just the slightest rise in average temperatures. It's nothing even close to Dan's hometown in the Arizona desert! Yet I spent much of my Summers in those two places wilting on the sofa like the heroine of a bad romance novel.

I've found that my favorite Winter temperature in Fairbanks is about 10F/-12C. It's warm enough to walk anywhere you please without having to wear insane amounts of clothes and wrap up your face like a bank robber, and yet cold enough to run and run and run, and never get winded or break a sweat! Also, being more than just a bit below freezing means that the ice never gets slippery--it feels as solid as pavement. Autumn and I have covered about 300 miles since I've gotten her, just exploring the trails around our neighborhood!

No comments: