nopin

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

"Alaska Girls Kick Ass"

That's a common bumper sticker around here. Even when you see one for the first time, it already sounds like a cliche, but it's still amusing and empowering in an era in which the downfalls of female celebrities are celebrated in supermarket checkout lines.

I blogged before about what it's like to be a girl in engineering, so now I'll talk about what it's like to be a girl in Fairbanks.

1. Chivalry isn't dead. If I pull off the road for any reason, be it to read a map or to take a photo of an interesting view, it won't take long for another car to pull up behind me and ask whether the car and I are okay. I find this very reassuring.

2. I am not a piece of meat. When I was growing up in San Francisco, I got hooted and hollered at almost every time I walked more than a few blocks on any mildly busy sidewalk (not just downtown!). The most disgusting one I can remember was when I was thirteen years old. I was a young thirteen, too; I probably didn't even have sexual feelings yet, I was thin, underdeveloped, and dressed plainly. Anyway, this day I was wearing shorts and a T-shirt, and this grizzly old man with a gruffy voice said to me as we passed each other, "You got pretty legs." I was SO grossed out. Here, people who notice me smile and wave, nothing more, nothing less. I like it that way. The closest I ever got to feeling like a piece of meat was when a guy who works at the supermarket said to me, "You sure are pretty. It's always nice to see you." That's not so disrespectful. That's actually rather nice. I can live with that.

3. I don't wear my nice things any more. There's no point. I would probably be treated worse going about town in nicer clothes, because people here have more respect for humility than they have for sophistication. We have a symphony and an opera, and nice restaurants, too, but no one dresses up for those, either. My silk dresses and Italian shoes sit in the closet. Do I miss them? Sure I do. I won't say I'm above vanity; I may be a geek, but I'm still a human.

4. Last night as I was washing my face before going to bed, I suddenly recalled how I had used to use a product called "astringent" after washing my face. This was basically alcohol that you'd put on a cotton ball and wipe off whatever soap wouldn't clean. My mom, bless her heart, on realizing that I used this stuff, took me to the Clinique counter at Macy's and bought me something from them. So I could now use a cotton ball to wipe very expensive alcohol on my face, instead of using a cotton ball to wipe cheap alcohol on my face. I am now of the belief that whatever soap won't clean belongs there. Life is simpler now. I like it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you were not gross out when the B/B owner Sean remarked on your beauty. All praises should be appreciated, even from someone you don't care for, because he/she meant well at that moment.

Anonymous said...

Be thankful and be alert whenever a stranger offers to help.

There are good people in NY city, and bad guys can travel to remote towns too (ex the unibomer). Do not step out our cars even if being stopped by the uniformed police (check his/her ID from your closed window first, and give your ID while remaining inside).