nopin

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ran the Midnight Sun Run!

Ran the Midnight Sun Run and enjoyed the following along the course:
* 2 beers
* gigantic huggable newfie
* beagle puppy
* visit with Karen at her house (which fronts the race course)
* high fives from neighborhood kids
* sprays from garden hoses, super-soakers, etc, etc

It was very warm, although, evidently, BT and Miss E would have had no problem whatsoever with our "heat wave." Too warm for Autumn and Linden to run in, for sure. Dan was an acceptable running buddy though. He didn't chase after rabbits or kill and eat squirrels, so that's a plus.

I got up early this morning to run the girls before the day got too warm, and, blessedly, it did seem a bit cooler this morning. There was a breeze, which not only cooled us but also knocked out the mosquitoes! Then I went back to bed, and while I slept the day grew blistering again. Okay, only by Fairbanks standards. Still, take pity on us! We function at our best at around 0F!

Then the clouds gathered and kaboom! Lightening and thunder, and now it's raining! Weather here is fickle. We also have microclimates that would even put San Francisco's to shame.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh, you've lived in Fairbanks for 1 year and you consider yourself a Fairbanksian and not able to adjust to normal "lower 48" weather?

Anonymous said...

I prefer cold weather more too, reasonably cold weather 50-60 is perfect for M,,,,r
but I trade mosquitos for colder weather

Arvay said...

Well, actually, "uh," I'd never adjusted to Sili Valley weather from San Francisco. Cool and foggy and mid 50s F is nice. :)

Miss E. said...

I think you're more than brave to live in the cold. I couldn't handle a week in Boston in December. Ugh. I don't do extreme temperatures in either direction really.

Arvay said...

Boston may well have a colder "feel" than Fairbanks does. I've certainly felt much colder in Chicago in Winter than I have here, because of the wind and the moisture. But damn, Chicago's sure got some good things to eat to make up for it!