nopin

Monday, June 23, 2008

A Letter from my Congressman

Last week, I received a letter from my congressman, expressing agreement with my views in a letter I had written to the Editor of the News Miner several weeks prior. I was quite touched. This could easily turn into another commentary on how nice small town life is, and how this would never happen in the Bay Area, blahblah, except that that isn't true, because I have a similar story from San Francisco.

I don't remember the details, and I'm pretty sure my mother and sister don't remember the incident at all, but I was mightily impressed and haven't forgotten. When I was a young kid (probably under 10), a small business owner angered my mother so much that she threatened, "I'll write to my congressman about you!" After we left, she said to us, "I really will write to our congressman... er... who's our congressman?" My sister replied, "Nancy Pelosi!" Ah, it is so delicious telling this story because it sounds so out of character for both of them. My mother the crusader, and my sister the politically aware little girl! Anyway, my mother did write to Nancy Pelosi, and Nancy Pelosi (or her office) took care of the issue and wrote my mother back to let her know. I was surprised and pleased.

I'm happy that such a person who would actually take the time out to take care of a non prominent member of a huge congressional district is now Speaker of the House. Yay for politicians that actually care about their people!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't just feel bad about Cody, there was Barns&Noble that closed its door at Bersekly in 2007. Gateway Computer, Eddie Bauer's, Kentucky Fry chicken, ROSS(yes, our family attire store) and many papa mama stores all closed and left Berserkeley.
Their common reason: The City charges twice as high of the sales tax than other adjacent cities. They all moved to Emeryville. What is the City's solution to that? Raise more sales tax to remaining business.

Anonymous said...

What did you write to the newspaper?

What an amazing memory you have about my letter to Pelosi! It was an issue about a bad postman.