nopin

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Northern Garlic

Gilroy, California bills itself as the garlic capitol of the world, and its summertime average temperature is something like eight hundred degrees.

Imagine my surprise, then, to find garlic in the farmer's market in Fairbanks. I'm just now getting to the last of it, and it's still in great shape. If I had known how well it would last (not dehydrating, nor molding), I would have bought much more.

The bulbs are pretty small:


But each one is comprised of only two or three enormous cloves:

I left the background in this photo so you could see the end fate of the garlic--eggplant grilled how BT showed me last Summer--marinated in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, minced garlic, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Yum! And a perfect thing to serve at a Let's-pretend-it's-not-Winter-party!

A huge garlic clove:


Editted for a public service announcement and a photo of a plant.

PSA: The world's most perfect Winter sweaters are made by Kuhl. They are soft, dense, warm, and washable. And, because the weave is so fine, they don't pill. And discount places like Sierra Trading Post and Campmor sell them for half price! Yay for warm fuzzy sweaters!

Photo of a plant:


This thing is growing in the Graduate School Office at UAF. The pot is no bigger than my biggest stock pot, and the plant is comfortably twice my height. The leaves are the length of my forearm, and greedily stretching into every direction. Note that it is January, the thing hardly gets any light, and it's in an external corner of an older building with poor insulation (notice the frost on the windows). This thing is my hero of vegetation.

No comments: