nopin

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Warming up... a tad

It was -20F this morning when I woke up, but dropped to -25F in the half hour it took me to get dressed, drink a cup of tea and eat a banana, and bundle up for outside and cover the girls and myself with reflective doodads and blinky lights. Because it was "warmer" today, I decided to do a full run instead of just dashing to the end of the street and back. A short run--about 2.5 miles--but a full run nonetheless. The girls were crazy enthusiastic after not having decent runs for two days. They dragged me mercilessly as I hung onto their leashes with one hand and kept the other on my headlight to keep it from slipping onto my face.

You know how when sane people are awoken by their alarms, especially in the Winter, they don't spring out of bed immediately? They curse, yawn, stretch, wiggle their toes, snuggle deeper into the covers, roll over, that sort of thing? Well, guess who's not sane? Linden. She sprongs up and stands over me, wagging her tail and wearing a big grin. Her eyes are sparkling, and she's ready to take off, immediately. She runs down the stairs, then up the stairs, then down the stairs, then up the stairs. Then comes back onto the bed and puts her face. really. close. to. mine. Then smiles wider. In the meantime, Autumn, that bastion of sanity, snuggles closer to me and pretends to be asleep. Yup. A dog after my own heart. Linden makes very obvious that she was adopted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gotta love those adopted ones... have to admit, I'm pretty psyched about my snoring foot warmer these days (the beagle, not my husband).

Rena said...

hehe. Very cute, Linden - you'd be a star in this house - my little Barbarians woke me up in much the same way today at 6am. ggggah.

So do you have a good headlamp? I imagine after you put on your face mask/hat/whatever, the headlamp kind of jiggles around and doesn't clamp on too effectively?

Arvay said...

Linden and your barbarians would adore each other!

Yes, my headlamp is quite good. When the batteries are fresh, it doesn't even dim after an hour outside in the -20 - -30 range. The problem is, it tends to slide down my head with each step, sometimes rudely whacking me on the nose as it falls off at last. Sometimes, though, frost comes off my forehead, and the headlamp freezes to my hat. Then it's a good run! :)

blip said...

it's so much easier to get outta bed in the summer.