nopin

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Photos 'round the 'hood

Went skiing today for the first time since Linden threw out her shoulder. She was acting normal again in a week, but I wanted to wait an extra week before letting her bounce around outside off leash. I definitely didn't want to risk skijoring, so I had to pay extra attention to where I was going, because I knew I'd be the one leading the way home. When the girls are not in harness, I can't read them and thus can't use them as GPSs. Anyway, thinking of you, all my four loyal readers, I dutifully tucked the camera into my armpit to snap some photos.

All of the trails at the bottom of the ridge look more or less like this, with permafrost-stunted spruce:


As you climb the ridge, there is a layer of giant spruce that block the light. Ssspookeh! Keep in mind, it's only about 400 feet from the bottom of the ridge to the top, but at our high latitude, tiny differences in altitude are pretty big.


This is why I wanted to make absolutely sure Linden was fully healed before skiing again. She is ten years old, but she bounces!


"Hurry up and take the photo so we can go!"


There are some pockets of moisture where there is lots of hoarfrost on the nekkid branches.


The top of the ridge is open and bright and cheerful, with tall trees and lots of birch.


There is a road at the top where I often see tire tracks, although I have no idea how or whether it connects to the road system.


When we got back (shortly after noon), there was sun coming in the cabin! Yay for living on a south-facing slope!

4 comments:

Rena said...

What a beautiful hike - thanks for remembering your camera. Linden's really 10 already? She seems like such a young lass, not a middle-aged lady.
Amazing that you are bounding about in subzero temps while we are freezing in our 65deg daytime temps. Good grief.

Christy said...

So beautiful! I'm glad Linden is feeling better!

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Nice outing. Glad Linden is healing.

Can I trade you weather for one day? Please?

Arvay said...

Yeah, Linden is one of those dogs that acts like a puppy for life. That's why she loves real (biological) puppies, retrievers (who, like her, are mental puppies), and human children--because they are all sillypants!

Dingo Dave, I think if we traded for ONE day, I'd melt into a puddle and you'd freeze your tootsies off. We humans need time to adjust. Say... about five months, from July to December!