nopin

Friday, August 6, 2010

Miscellany

Firstly, here is a behbeh pygmy hippo. Ahhh! Isn't he adorable? I could have one! He could live in Millie's water dish!

Secondly, I spotted this cool sculpture thingy in the library yesterday:

Isn't it awesome? I love the nekkid light bulb. It was made by one Kelly Lowry.

Thirdly, a flock of birds took off yesterday. Isn't it kind of early?


Fourthly, the rain that broke our horrid hot spell brought a double rainbow!


It sharpened up as soon as I lost my clear view!


After the storm, my commute home:




Fifthly, I found a way to consume arugula quickly--wilt it! Pasta with wilted arugula and pesto made with basil from Rosie Creek Farm:


Sixthly, I framed my green wood shelter last night. Now I just have to add supports and some walls:


Seventhly, here is my beautiful green birch I'm in the middle of splitting:


Finally, here is an absolutely hysterical article that highlights the joys of living in Fairbanks. This was the headlining news story as of this morning, y'all. My favorite line is:
“I don’t know if the briefs came with the outfit or what,” Fairbanks police officer Chris DeLeon said.

3 comments:

mdr said...

Please be very careful when working with your wood, wear gloves, goggles and don't hurt your back. I hurt mine in early 30's and it became a reoccurring event to me.

Rena said...

if the briefs came with the outfit...!? Hahaa!

Green wood shelter looking good - how'd you sink the posts into the permafrost? Or do you have to deal with permafrost? Ahhh, I see you ordered the green wood after all!

Have you been able to see any good aurora borealis(whatever the plural form is?) or not enough darkness yet?

Arvay said...

Still no darkness! I don't have permafrost on my little hill, but even if I did, there is generally a 5-10 ft "active layer" on top of the permafrost that thaws every summer and freezes every winter. It's only the stuff underneath that is permanently frozen. That being said, I didn't drive anything into the ground. I'm using the tree for support. :)