nopin

Monday, August 2, 2010

The upside of small-town gossip...

... is that you can find out anything about anyone or anything just by asking around. For example:

* What happened to that newborn baby moose calf that was sitting just off the trail? Did his mama come back? (No, unfortunately, she didn't. He died, and his little body was taken to Fish and Game for a necropsy.)

* Who is that guy who asked me out when I was on the river? (He's a neighbor of my farmer friends who gave me Autumn and Linden. He's a nice fellow, but he's dated half the women in Fairbanks. Stay away!)

* What in heck am I supposed to do with all my whey? (I have neighbors around the corner raising pigs! No problem!)

* Who the hell put baited traps just past my property line, on a multi-use trail? How stupid and inconsiderate is he, and what is his deal?? (He's a local neighborhood resident, he was contacted and given a stern lecture, to which he responded with a blank look and then an awakening realization. He then apologized profusely and moved his trap line way out into the wilderness. And now he's on the Alaska Trappers Association's s*** list.)

* Any blueberries left on Ester Dome? (no)

* Sundry comments about when the salmon runs are where.

* Sundry details about who's going to enter what in the fair.

Edited to add:
The Miner News is warning us against a severe upcoming winter. To which I say... bring it on! I have four cords of wood split and stacked, two furry, cuddly dogs, and an alpaca blanket!

1 comment:

Rena said...

My cousin's husband hails from a small town in Iowa. When they drove up to his grandparents' house they were greeted on the porch by "Well Danny, everyone in town's been wondering who's been driving through in a little Japanese car." Sadly, the phone company discontinued the party line (yes, an old fashioned party line) about 5 yrs ago. Hasn't been the same around town since.