nopin

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Notes from Here and There

It should be apparent to my all six loyal readers that I have something of a short attention span. It's okay; now you know my secret: I'm pretty much a goldfish with a knack for solving differential equations. Sometimes I come up with brilliant ideas for posts, but by the time I make it to a computer, I am distracted by something shiny, so all I have is a photo repository on my memory stick. So here is today's mental vomit of a post:

1) HOT! We are all HOT!

Linden is hot!


Autumn is hot!


Millie is hot!


Ooo! Pink fireweed against a blue sky! I had to squat down for a photo:


And I picked a bouquet of dandelion greens for Miss Mille. I generally, on her behalf, obliterate all of the dandelions in my own yard within the first few weeks of summer, which then leaves me in the peculiar position of asking neighbors if they'd mind too terribly if I helped myself to some of their weeds for my rabbit. :)

I even tied it together with a sprig of willow. Miss Millie B. Doofus, Supreme Ruler of the People's Republic of Bunnistan, commands respect!



Peanut sauce noodle salad:




I had this for dinner on Friday and Saw that it was Good, so I made another batch to take to a picnic Saturday. Friends loved it and requested the recipe, so I will post it here for the edification of my six loyal readers, then send said friends the link as well.

Recipe:

Base:
* cooked noodles (supposedly rice noodles, but I like Italian vermicelli because it is made of semolina and thus more nourishing)
* shredded lettuce

Sauce:
* soy sauce
* rice vinegar (you can definitely improvise with any other mild vinegar, or lemon or lime juice) (ooh limes! yum! gotta buy some!)
* peanut butter
* sesame oil
* hot chili oil, or sriracha, or, my favorite, this
* minced garlic
* minced green onions
* water to thin to a mixable consistency so it won't tear up your noodles

Other toppings (pick any combination, or use your imagination):
* julienned carrots
* sliced celery
* julienned cucumbers
* thin-sliced yellow or red onion
* thin-sliced dried tofu
* shredded cooked chicken
* cilantro
* basil
* bean sprouts, raw or blanched

1) Cook noodles, then run under cold water.
2) Whip sauce together with a whisk.
3) Mix everything all together. Yay!

7 comments:

mdr said...

you are a good cook now. Experience makes big difference. I have always said C is a good cook, you are just as good if not better :-)

mdr said...

When it is hot back here, you can jump in for a nice relaxing shower...Come back soon please

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Yum! Looks tasty! Before I got to the recipe writeup I wondered, "Gee, I wonder if Arvay would give out her ultra-top-secret peanut sauce recipe if I asked nicely?"

flying fish said...

I love your goldfish brain, thanks for sharing your life with two predators and a princess! I know she's the queen, but I couldn't think of any words for the dogs that start with Q.

John said...

You can also fry the dandelion blooms and eat the green parts as salad. Old-timers did it all the time. Not on my plan of 'must eats' tho...

Arvay said...

Two predators and a princess! Love it!

Arvay said...

I have eaten dandelion greens; they are bitter and go well with bacon! :P