nopin

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Veggies for the week

Rosie Creek Farm has apparently been struggling with the weather as much as I have with my garden. My basil just plumb died, and my tomatoes refuse to blossom. My weekly veggie share, while much, much, much better than anything I could grow myself with my meager resources, has also been slim pickings. Here is this week's:


My salad greens came in a "Rosie Creek Farm" logo bag, which is not normal for CSA subscribers. I think those were intended to be sold either to the farmer's market or to the local produce store, and were pulled back at the last minute to add to CSA shares instead. That tells me that I made the right choice in doing the CSA thing. I had heard that the local farms prioritize their best produce for the CSA subscribers, and send the rest to the farmer's market. This confirms it.

Also, also: Most adorable photos of behbeh koala ever, here.

2 comments:

Rena said...

I remember it rained for you on the 4th of July. Has it been unusually wet and cold?
The farming life is impossible. I don't understand how anyone can survive as a farmer these days. Especially a farm local to you. When we were in Alaska, the produce imported from California and Mexico was beautiful and cheap - surely cheaper than even a local farm can produce!

Been meaning to ask you if there are any fruit trees that grow up there. Is it too cold for apples or pears?

Arvay said...

It is definitely too cold for fruit trees with the current stocks we have, but the University ag folks are working on developing new strains from Siberian lines that can grow here, and have had some success so far. But these trees have not reached the general populace yet. I personally know of only two humans that have such things going--an apple farmer in North Pole who sells bags of apples at the farmer's market (the apples are small and tart), and my neighbor down the street, who has apples, plums, and, somehow, cherries!