nopin

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Veggie photos

My veggies for the week:


My neighbors' garden. I love the way she intersperses flowers in with the vegetables. Especially considering that those are not flowers that are amenable to cutting and putting into a vase. Their only purpose is to beautify the vegetable garden. :)


This, my friends, is an Alaskan rhubarb leaf:

And it's a perennial, would you believe? I saw its little red tips poking out of the snow in the spring!

A ladybug that I found in my underwear drawer. The poor thing must have climbed onto my underwear when it was out on the clothes line.

Yikes! My finger looks terrible in closeup!

4 comments:

mdr said...

At least your finger looks pink and healthy :-)

mdr said...

Next week please include some yellow/orange ones and potato, remember "hoas in Heemaliyah ol it poutetos".

Arvay said...

The nature of a "Community-Supported Agriculture" program means that you only get locally-grown produce, to ensure both that your produce is very fresh and also that your money stays in the community.

That means, you only get what is in season. I have potatoes growing myself, but they won't be ready until the end of summer. I am expecting carrots and summer and winter squash from the farm share, but they won't be ready until later in summer, as well. It's also been a bad year for squash, because of the cooler weather and frequent rain. It's been great for keeping the wildfires tamped down though!

A large part of eating local means you cannot have whatever you want, whenever you want it. But, aside from it being healthier to eat fresh, local food in season, I think it also teaches more disciplined, thoughtful, and creative cooking. :)

Heather said...

Coupling flowers with vegetables is not only eye-appealing or to be done with cutting flowers. It encourages beneficial pollinators to visit your garden. Flowers have more appeal to pollinators and while they are there to visit, they may pop into your flowering veggies too. It also encourages a healthier ecosystem by inviting predators of some possibly destructive garden dwellers (as in, that ladybug).