nopin

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Veggies for three days

Last week, I let my hare care person have my veggie share from the farm. Anticipating three days of veggielessness, I accepted my neighbor's offer of some veggies from her garden. Of course, I had to take photos for my seven loyal readers:

This'll do for three days:

Notice the paw and the out-of-focus slurpy nose, LOL.

Also "helped with some weeding" on Millie's behalf:


So I snapped these photos mostly as a survey of what does well and what doesn't over an unusually rainy summer. From my own garden, I can tell you that the tomatoes and basil are doing poorly (the latter plumb died), but the potatoes and cilantro are doing fine. My neighbors would report that:

The broccoli is growing insanely huge, but not flowering, so it's become effectively another form of kale:


The zucchini is still doing fine (surprise!):


The veggies that are "winter veggies" Outside--kale, collards, mustards--always do fine:


The nasturtiums are doing fine:


The rhubarb, a perennial, is doing just fine:


Corn is always hit or miss in Alaska. This year, obviously, it'll be a miss:


The exotic Korean turnip is definitely not doing well at all!

3 comments:

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Veggies! That's a nice garden!

Rena said...

Didja try the giant spinach seeds? They prolly would do well in your climate. Kale, yum - I can eat an entire pan of kale chips by myself, no surprise. And I love brocco leaves - they are so sweet and meaty.

Vanessa said...

That is a nice garden... I seem to be killing everything green these days. HA HA, my word verification is "unonions".