nopin

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Weary

Remind me if I ever attempt this again that working two different jobs while trying to finish a PhD dissertation is... suboptimal.

On the other hand, I don't see how I could have avoided this situation. The timing on my primary job was such that I had to accept it when I did, and it's a great job and a great fit for me, so I'm glad I took it. As for teaching, I am really having fun with it, so I'm also glad I took it. Finally, finishing my thesis... well, I don't enjoy it at all, but after being 95% done with my PhD, I might as well finish the danged thing!

So I'm freakin' busy, but I have several non-negotiables:
1) Sleep. I need 7 hours, min.
2) Doggies and outdoor time. We still do the daily runs and walks, and weekend skis, to the tune of 40 miles a week! That is when I do my best thinking, and it is also the Prescription for Fourteen Year Old Dogs to Remain Acting Like Puppies.
3) Food. No ramen or pizza for me, thanks! I still cook and eat proper meals.
4) Chores that are non-negotiable: Shoveling the driveway, replenishing firewood, laundry, etc.

What has taken a back seat?
1) Leisure reading.
2) Cleaning. I haven't swept my cabin since... mmmm... hmmmmm...?
3) Social life. I had lunch with a few friends yesterday, but other than that and Chinese New Year, I've been pretty much a hermit. It helps tremendously that I am genuinely fond of most of my coworkers. Spending days with them almost feels like I get to check 'socialize' off my list. :)

I also take breaks to fantasize about my post-thesis life and look at stuff on the internet. Until now, I'd never been served well by retail therapy, but now I use it as a basis for fantasies about my "after thesis time". In the past month, I have purchased:

1) A new splitting maul, beautifully hand-forged in Sweden by a blacksmith who stamped his name on the head. This summer, I will order hella green birch and split and stack it nicely and prettily before it gets covered with snow.

2) Peach satin ballroom dancing shoes. Because I will take ballroom dancing lessons!

3) A Steripen. Because when I go backpacking, I don't want to carry around a wet, giardia-infested filter whose components like to disconnect themselves and fling cold water in my face while I am pumping. Harumph!

4) A blue silk blouse, a tan linen skirt, a black wool skirt, and a brown wool skirt. Because when I will be working a mere one job instead of three, I will have no excuse not to look decent!

5) A raspberry pi. Because nerdiness doesn't come free.

6) A new American-made fixed-blade EDC knife for hiking. Because salami and cheese.

I guess I don't get to buy myself a graduation present. I done spent all that money already!

6 comments:

mdr said...

maybe take a real vacation during summer break?
maybe take only one job after this semester?
maybe join some interesting club if you can find one there -- reading club, writing club, acting club, sierra club..

Arvay said...

I am already a member of the highly esteemed Fairbanks Area Hiking Club, and I am looking forward to ballroom dancing!

bt said...

Chin up, lady.

I'm sure you know this, but I've been there and am pulling for you in spirit.

We all go through periods of time like this where we have to sacrifice some of the things we enjoy temporarily to achieve our ambitions.

But, soon, you will be done with the thesis and you will get your weekends back.

Also, very impressed that you remain so committed to sleeping, running, walking, and cooking good food in the face of such a time crunch -- that's difficult to do, and impressive.

TwoYaks said...

What are you looking to do with your pi? I got one a while back for digital signal processing (For radio stuff), and it's been kinda OK at that. It's a neat 'toy' though.

mdr said...

ball room dancing will be fun and you can pick up dance steps fast :), unlike me :(

As for that pair of shoes, are you trying to be funny?

Arvay said...

@TwoYaks, I have no idea yet, and I'm not allowed to even cut open the box until my thesis is accepted by the grad school!

@mdr, what's funny?