nopin

Friday, October 11, 2013

Tanana, Redux

What a change in weather from a week prior!

The village clinic:


Fish wheel:


Several of them:


The test fish wheel run for Fish and Game. The operator, PM, uses it to estimate the number, weight distribution, and species distribution of salmon coming down the Yukon:


One is still in the water. Better get it out soon!


Logs being pulled out for the biomass needs:


The water is silty. I picked up a piece of jade. It's downstream from the mouth of the Tanana, so who knows where this jade came from?


The Yukon looked gloomy:


A wind turbine is up where I had seen the met tower the previous week. This person moves fast!


Fog at the outlook point. Compare.


Compare:


In other news, Fairbanks' beloved Fox "Spring" well has run dry. Oh noes! I used to full up from there on my way home any time I went to the White Mountains! But that's just because I like the taste of it; "saving" two cents a gallon by using "free" water is not thaaaaat exciting to me, since it's a drive all the way across town...

And in other other news, wildlife troopers have arrested some jerks who chased down and shot a moose from their boat. The butt-holes denied it, of course, but I'm just gonna point out that calling your boat the Critter Gitter does nothing for your defense.

2 comments:

mdr said...

Some day you should publish a book from your blog -- a well illustrated and best written Alaskan diary.

Jade will bring you good luck.

Arvay said...

Why, thank you!