nopin

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Been busy...

First of all, the hair had to go. I informed Dan after washing it Saturday morning that that was the last time I'd wash it, so either he had to cut it, or it was going to get disgusting in a few days. Guess which he chose?



Locks of Love is getting another gift from me!

In other news, I am finally understanding Lagrangians! And none too soon, seeing as I got the lowest score in the class on the first homework. Go me! The prof actually said to me, "this is not engineering. You have to think differently." But I'm good now. Thanks, Dr. Price!

Another interesting tidbit--I've twice now clarified in my head a concept I'd been struggling with by making mechanical analogies. My plasma prof said, "Hey, that's great! If that's how mechanical engineers think, then run with it!" But I wonder when I'll hit material that it will not be possible to do this with.

Interestingly enough, I remember my high school physics teacher (God bless you, Mr. Shapiro! You rock!) doing this for us when he first started to teach us about electricity and magnetism. So apparently I'm not the only one who thinks better in mechanical terms than in electrical. After all, we all experience mechanics directly, every day, when we throw a ball, walk up or down a hill, fix a bad hinge on a kitchen cabinet, etc. Daily life is mechanics. But who among non-physicists and non-EEs ever thinks about electricity and magnetism beyond flipping the light switch and sticking photos on the fridge?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You look great! Glad you recruited Dan for help this time...

-bt

Vanessa said...

Is this part of your pre-bday celebrations?

Anonymous said...

You new look has a more clean-cut and more beautiful and sharp look. It is so much easier to clean.