nopin

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Fall is falling

A rainstorm came last night and stripped all of the loose leaves from the trees. Now my home neighborhood looks like someone threw confetti!

This is the time of year I feel most smug about having left the bay area. JayKay informs me that damned near half of California is on fire. It is hot, muggy, and hazy. People are irritable in the heat. Here, the air is cool, crisp, and clear. In a few weeks, there will be fog in the mornings. The morning fog is very beautiful here. Having grown up in San Francisco, I thought I had already developed an appreciation for fog. But fog here is different. It hangs in discrete clumps, sitting in low dips in the valley, gently shrouding the trees like a viscose scarf. Sometimes I am watching and see an actual piece of fog amble by. I am not used to seeing discrete pieces of fog. It's quite fascinating.

In other news, I am swamped with school work. I also need to reorganize the kitchen before Dan takes dibs on deciding where everything goes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice prose, even if a little melodramatic. (Muggy in the bay area? This region has a dry climate, last time I checked.) It sounds like you are setting a scene for a book.

Arvay said...

Hm... Yeah, you're right; "muggy" is the wrong word. I think I want "hazy." Thanks! Good call.

Oh, and when I said "people" are irritable in the heat, I meant "I" am irritable in heat. :) Most people love South Bay weather. It is obviously considered desirable and is one of the reasons housing is so expensive. But I actually grew up in San Francisco, so am somewhat unaccustomed to heat.