nopin

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Rather Nice Compliment

I bumped into one of my students in the hallway today as he was looking at the posted solutions to a quiz they had had in class. After we exchanged hellos, he beamed at me, "I got a perfect score on the quiz!"

This is not a compliment to me because I taught him the skills for that particular quiz. It's that... well you know how it is when you do really well on some academic endeavor that not everyone did... and you are so pleased and proud of yourself, but you can't mention it to anyone because you don't want to brag or make anyone else feel bad? Well, he was clearly in that state, but was happy to brag to me, knowing full well that I'd be thrilled for him.

One of my students last semester wrote to me in an email, "Its nice to have instructors who actually CARE what youre (sic) doing." If I've communicated that, then that's a hell of a nice thing!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad and proud of you. sometimes it is more important to have this 'people power/connection" than job skills. Of course, I am confident you have the job skill too, otherwise, he won't do that well.