nopin

Friday, April 11, 2008

Voices to Make you Believe in God

Okay these have nothing to do with silicon2tanana at all, but they are so beautiful.

First here we have Carmen Monarcha singing Ave Maria.


And here she is singing O Mio Babbino Caro. I was doing the dishes one night while listening to some Andre Rieu CD, and this aria came on. I was stunned and had to stop what I was doing to listen.


I just love her. And I love this clip. She looks exactly how a girl should look when asking her father for something important to her... at first coquettish, then becoming increasingly desperate and finally crying real tears as she threatens to throw herself into the river.

And here we have Hayley Westenra, just fifteen (!!) years old, singing a beautiful interpretation of Pokarekare Ana, a Maori love song that I learned when I was a child.



Wow! That voice! Some of her other clips give me cognitive dissonance, though. She's just not old enough to have experienced any of the heavy emotions that come with the songs she is singing. A particularly bizarre example is her singing Kate Bush's famous Wuthering Heights. She's all smiling and dancing along. She has none of Kate's madness in the original. She's so sweet and pure, that's not Catherine Earnshaw at all! Hasn't she read the novel? I don't think anyone should be allowed to sing that song without having read the novel, or else they miss the whole point.

But still... that voice! I hope when she comes of emotional age to deliver some depth in her performances, I am back in civilization and can catch her perform live!

No comments: