nopin

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Drama from the Sky

At around 1 a.m. last night/this morning, I was awoken by a KABOOM overhead. Lightening flickered and thunder thundered. I had to go look. I got out of bed, fumbled for my glasses, and opened the front door. Rain was pouring down, sluicing through the trees and coming off the roof in sheets. Huge clouds darkened the sky and made it almost as dark as night at lower latitudes. The dogs, who normally attempt to charge out the front door every time it opens, wanted nothing to do with it. They lay on the floor, their noses pressed to the tops of their front paws, looking up at me with only their eyes. Their tails wagged very feebly, as if to say, "Uh... we're... uh... up for it if you are... but you're not, right?"

Rain in the San Francisco Bay Area is more gentle, and you get more warning. The clouds gather for hours to even several days, before they grudgingly give up their burdens, and rain comes gently down. And it rains for at least a day, if not several days or a week. You wear boots and rain coats. Here, you have no idea it's going to rain. It's bright and sunny, and the sky is that amazing arctic blue, and then suddenly clouds zip in like they have been late for this gathering, they all crash into each other, and here come buckets of rain, before you even processed that it was coming! And then it disappears as suddenly as it came, and people stepping out from buildings might wonder why there are puddles on the ground.

After the dogs and I were done staring out the door, I crept back into bed. When I woke up this morning, the rain had stopped, and we had a lovely, cool, mosquito-free run.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh boy! That's how East coast summers are. And summers in tropical regions. Thunderstorms sweep in and out and don't last very long.

Anonymous said...

You are very good in describing the details, I felt as if I was there. Thank you for sharing.

Do you have an extra rain geer in the car?

Arvay said...

No... I have extra snow gear, though.