nopin

Monday, July 7, 2008

How I spent my holiday

The long weekend was nice. Apparently, Thursday was also a University holiday, but I didn't realize this and came to school and wondered why I could park so much closer all of a sudden.

Friday, we had a day hike planned at Mt. Prindle in the White Mountains, but we overslept and woke up to a scorching day, so began a 36-hour migrating barbecue instead, moving with our group of friends from one cabin to the next as we met up with different groups. The girls had a great time sneaking handouts (which they don't get at home), and we came home Saturday night stuffed to the gills. Sunday I got up early to run the girls while it was still cool, then came home, washed up, and proceeded to go back to bed and sleep for another four hours. Then we got up, headed over to Hot Licks for ice cream and Beaver Sports for woolly Winter things on off-season discounts, and met up with a friend for a float down the Chena River via canoe. Our new cabin is right on the river, so we put in downtown and floated home. Here is a google map, along with their suggested route from A to B. Silly google, assuming you are in a car!



Along the way, we saw:

1. Lots and lots of mama ducks with their adorable fuzzy broods. :)
2. A beautiful red fox. :)
3. The fox eating one of the aforementioned fuzzy ducklings. :(

Then we came home and made a huge sockeye salmon fillet and had it with pasta and caesar salad and Alaskan IPAs.

And that is how I spent my holiday. The End.

P.S. Have you ever noticed how when you have a good time at something (a vacation, a hiking trip, etc), the story is kind of boring to tell, but when you get bumped off your flight, your food gets stolen by raccoons, your hotel ends up being nonexistent, etc, you tell and retell the story for years to come? And laugh harder and harder each time? How come it's not nearly as much fun to tell stories of when everything goes just fine?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Confucius said remembering things that went wrong maybe can help avoiding future similar reoccurences, especially things can be under our own control.
I really enjoyed reading "how you spent my holiday", I wish you will always have nice days like that.

Anonymous said...

What flavor you had at Hot Licks?

The Enforcer said...

I'm gonna ask this question in advance for DJC, because he'll want to know:

What kind of Alaskan IPAs did you enjoy?

Thanks! =)

Arvay said...

At Hot Licks, I had a small scoop of Vanilla with a small scoop of lemon sorbet.

Haagen Daz used to have a line of fruit sorbets marbled with vanilla ice cream that were soooo yummy. The Orange and Cream was my sister's favorite. The Raspberry and Cream was mine.

Arvay said...

From the Alaskan Brewing Company:
http://www.alaskanbeer.com/

Their IPAs are the best! They taste almost... flowery. Does that sound bizarre? I feel the same way about the Blue Moon Belgian White. A bunch of flowers in my cup! The Alaskan Brewing Company also makes great seasonal brews, but I resent that the color scheme on the label on the Summer Ale has Fall colors. I find it deeply wrong. :)