nopin

Monday, October 27, 2008

Funny column

Apolitical, and pretty well sums up my own feelings:

Scott McCrea speaks to America: Leave Alaska alone

By the way, we had awesome skiing last weekend. Well, relatively, anyway. There was enough to ski like normal human beings instead of picking our way over rocks and between tufts of grass. Once we get serious snow, however, a lot of my favorite ski trails will be groomed for skate skiing and/or dog mushing, and then I will retreat to my former neighborhood for the girls' and my slow jaunts. Skate skiers and dog mushers are very serious in Fairbanks. They don't appreciate clumsy oafs like myself poking and plodding along their nicely-groomed trails with two loose dogs zipping around like puppies on crack. :)

3 comments:

TwoYaks said...

Heh. Yeah, the column has it about spot on. I'd like to go back to being in a box, floating off of California. Barring that, it'll be nice when some of the media scuttles back south after the election - before winter freezes them like bugs, and we have to sweep them up. ;)

You're on the ester side, right? There's some pseudo-groomed trails in Goldstream and around here, mostly where the mushers tend to go, but I was wondering if you get that on that side of things.

Anonymous said...

What is "skate skiing"? Is it skating or skiing?

Arvay said...

I'm off Chena Pump now, but I used to live in the Cripple Creek area. I've never explored Goldstream. Aren't there a lot of mushers who would be deeply unappreciative of loose dogs? There were only a few mushers in my old neighborhood, so it wasn't an issue. One guy actually liked to see us! He loved to say hello to my girls... he had this bee-yoo-tiful team of malamutes that were totally huggable and gush-worthy. They had paws the size of newfie paws!

Skate skiing is skiing with a skating stroke. They go really fast!