nopin

Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

Dan and I are going to keep up our longstanding tradition of carving pumpkins and setting them out on the porch for no-one to see, and buying lots of candy and standing forlornly by the door while we get NO trick-or-treaters whatsoever. :)

It seems that our old neighborhood in the Sili Valley was too "hip" for children, and the areas where we've lived in Fairbanks have been too rural. I wonder what kids around here dress up as. I'd be an oven mitt, or maybe Oscar the Grouch, or a stack of towels, haha. Probably not too many fairy princesses around here, unless there is a special one called "Princess Lots-a-clothes" or "Princess Down Comforter."

Anyway, I will be making an orange bundt cake to resemble a pumpkin, and I sent out a mass email to my school friends to see if anyone would like to stop by for cake and tea. We also have a bottle of port that some friends gave me for my birthday. :)

Have a happy and safe Halloween, everyone, and drive carefully--there will be lots of little people out and about in dark-colored costumes and poor vision due to misaligned eyeholes in face masks.

Oh--I almost forgot to tell you... I got a 92 on my exam! But the cutoff for an A in that class is 93. Oh well, I wasn't getting an A anyway, because I've already missed too many things on his quizzes. I just don't learn odd vocabulary that quickly, like taliks and thermokarsts. Oh that brings me to something else... is it just me, or is everyone suddenly fond of using medical terms in daily language? Is this because of the prevalence of hospital television shows? If someone hurts their knee, they don't tell me that they hurt their knee. Oh no, they tell me the latin names of the exact ligaments they tore. If they take up swimming, they don't tell me that their arms are getting stronger. Oh no, they tell me that their biceps and triceps and quadriceps and quinteceps and triceratops are getting stronger. Seriously, why do medical terms suddenly come up in ordinary conversation? Maybe I'm just jealous because I can never remember them all. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

92 is good and congratualations. It was not an easy course.

Have fun with your 2nd AK Holloween.

The Enforcer said...

I have to confess...I am one of those people that uses medical terms in every day speech. But, I think I should get a pass because telling athletes exactly which part of their knee they just annihilated was my job. Knowing all the fancy-schmancy names for everything was essential for teaching it to others and that knowledge just kinda stuck with me.

And maybe my memory isn't the greatest, but I'm fairly certain that the triceratops is not part of the human body. ;)

Arvay said...

But you are supposed to be technical in your job! You get more than "a pass"--you get kudos. Of course you should tell people where they are specifically injured, when it is their own bodies they need to take care of! It's just that when I hear about *other* people's bodies, I'm not so concerned with the details. To me, it's analogous to asking someone what they are having for lunch, and having them give you the recipe. I feel a bit bewildered and overwhelmed, when all I wanted to hear was, "chicken noodle soup." :)