nopin

Monday, October 6, 2008

Misc Photos

Already I am going into the stashes of Alaskan produce I'd squirreled away. Here is a baked pumpkin stuffed with seasoned croutons and sausage, with collard greens prepared Southern style--that is, with ham fat. This was our dinner last Friday, and Dan and I each only finished half our pumpkin share. I eagerly looked forward to having the combined leftovers for lunch today, but when I opened the steaming container from the office microwave, imagine my shock to find the pumpkin shells empty! Apparently, Dan decided to eat the stuffing at some point over the weekend, without telling me! And then replaced the pumpkin halves into the container, without informing me! Hrrmph! How rude! Plain pumpkin without even the benefit of butter, salt, or pepper does not a lunch make!


Here is my last *sniff* to-*sob*-mato from Ann. Through the Winter, we can get Hothouse tomatoes that are shipped from California, but there is no tomato like Ann's tomatoes. After thinking long and hard about how to expend my precious last tomato, I decided on a toasted cheese sammich.


Here we are with our friend's boxer, Luke. He's not really a demon. :)


Self portrait with Linden. Not an easy shot to get! Linden is very needy for physical affection, but paradoxically not very cuddly. She prefers to do such things as jam her snout up your butt crack, or slurp your ear. We are working on her manners!


And here are the girls doing what they do second best:


What else to report? Autumn has come alive with the cold. Linden also prefers cold weather, of course, but she tolerates Summer okay. Autumn, in contrast, gets rather unhappy in Summer. She was still sweet, but acted a little listless and was different enough that I had worried about her physical health. Now she is the beautiful, intelligent, lively dog that I first brought home again.

This is a convenient time of year for grocery shopping. I bought a gallon of milk this morning and left it in my car all day, with no worries that it would either freeze or spoil. Hah!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You turn out being a great cook like your sister and you pay attention to healthy ingrediants too. Just try to replace butter with olive oil, if all possible. Also add more chicken soup (with bones) into your winter diet. It makes your internal organs and skin less dry.

TwoYaks said...

The portrait with you and your dog is a great shot. If only there was a way to clear up that "green eye"...

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Sounds like Dan should take you out to a fancy dinner!

Arvay said...

A fancy dinner in Fairbanks? Eh? ;)

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

Oh, yeah... forgot about that! Well, he could fly you two down to Los Anchorage for a weekend at the Hilton, very posh restaurant there called The Top Of The World.

Arvay said...

I don't do posh! My favorite "restaurant" is great ingredients and a well-stocked kitchen. :)

Oh, and LEFTOVERS THAT DON'T VANISH!! Not that I am bitter, or anything. ;)

Anonymous said...

Your favorite restaurant is cooking it yourself? - what a lucky guy Dan is to have you! :)

Alaskan Dave Down Under said...

My favorite "restaurant" is great ingredients and a well-stocked kitchen. :)

I agree, but it is nice to spoil yourself every once in a while :)

Arvay said...

Hmmm, well in that case it's Lemongrass' Pad see ew. Mmmmm. Or a pulled pork sammich with sweet potato fries at the Loon. Mmmmmm. Actually, you know what Fairbanks needs more than an upscale place? A pub that serves really good pub food instead of just the usual pizza and nachos. They should have a wood-fired oven for pizzas. And salmon burgers. And thick-cut, homemade fries. Mmmmmm.