nopin

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Snow!

Enough to completely cover the ice and go skiing!

We decided to head to our old neck of the woods today so the girls could run off-leash and free.

Here is Dan sweeping the path to the outhouse. The outhouse looks rather picturesque in the snow.


The view to Quist Farms today:


Happy dawgs!




The weather forecast calls for temperatures to remain below freezing from here on out. Thank you, weather gods! Now we can breathe a sigh of relief about slipping and sliding!

I had been eagerly looking forward to Winter this year. Yeah, yeah, everyone can laugh at the "newbie" who hasn't yet grown tired of the cold, but I just find a snowy world so beautiful. Mid Winter of last year, a friend who lives in Kingston, New Brunswick wrote me the following:

Life in Alaska sounds much like life here. Ice, snow, studded tires, snow, moose... snow, and more snow. However, you remind me not to take the beauty around me for granted. You are finding a joyful fascination in the bright little things that make the north the north, things similar to those that caught my attention when I first moved to this chilly snowy province. They occasionally still do catch my attention, but I don't let them do so as often as I should...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoooray! Glad to hear you have snow and not any of that awful ice. All the same I'm glad you're driving that Subaru.
I just can't imagine putting ON clothes to go to the outhouse. Brrrr! Alan recently finished potty training but hasn't yet figured how to put his pants/underwear back on. What a cold walk back to the house that would be! Especially since sometimes he finds it necessary to take off his pants, underwear, socks, and shirt in order to use the "toto".
Come to think of it, potty training up in your neck of the woods must be awfully difficult - probably something done only in the warm summer, huh?

Arvay said...

Aw how cute! He probably realizes that he only has a limited number of years to run nekkid and free before he gets in trouble for it, so he's taking full advantage! I'm not sure how potty training would work in a dry cabin. I would imagine not too many families with young children live in them. It's mostly grad students and young singles or couples in dry cabins.

Anonymous said...

and crazy people!

Arvay said...

Fairbanks has lots of crazy people, but I think they are evenly distributed among housing types!