nopin

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Photos from here and there

I plugged in my car yesterday at school for the first time this Winter. I didn't really have to. Fred starts up just fine at these temperatures without having been plugged in, but I don't pay for power in the campus lots, so I figured, why not be kinder to him? So I guess this is my personal acknowledgment of Winter. For readers who have no idea what I am talking about, I am referring to plugging in the heaters that preheat my oil pan, battery, and uhhh... well I have a third one but I don't recall where it is at the moment. Anyway, when it gets below about -20F/-30C, you need to power these guys up otherwise your car may not start. This is part of life in Fairbanks. Most parking lots have an outlet for each car. So it goes.

Anyway, photos!

My fuzzy cuddlebugs:


Cuddly wuddly:

I really cannot describe how cuddly these girls are. They are like living teddy bears! :)

Overexposed Mr. B:


Overexposed Miss Millie:


View from our bedroom window this morning:


Leaving our cul de sac this morning:


Sunrise from campus this morning. For some reason, I've only ever once gotten the full effect of a sunrise or sunset on camera.


The girls relaxing post-run this morning:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually as soon as it gets near to below freezing preheating a car's engine will cut down on pollution. The cold start combustion is pretty bad efficency wise and produces something like 80% more pollution than once everything gets "up to temperature" so to speak. So even though Fred can get going, he's kinda dirty till he gets going. :) And I think the third part is your engine block, but not 100% sure about that.

Arvay said...

Wow Max, yes, that's right. It's on my engine block. Now how would you know how to winterize a car? Is climate change making San Diego get a wee bit cooler? :P